Got zucchini growing like crazy in your garden and you're looking for some different zucchini recipes? This is your answer! If your growing season hasn't started yet, go ahead and print this one out. Believe me, you'll thank me later.
This quick and kid-friendly healthy meal is super delicious! The Other Williams will throw this on the grill and I'm not sure what she does with it but magic happens some how. However you can put these in the oven also.
I never use to be a big sausage lover but boy have times of changed. The tomatoes and sausage together with the zucchini are just stellar!
So hang on to those zucchini coming in and give this one a go!
Stuffed Zucchini with Sausage
* 2 zucchini, ends trimmed
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 links Italian-style (pork or chicken) sausage, casings removed
* 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
* salt and ground black pepper to taste
* 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
* 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut a lengthwise 3/4-inch thick slice from each zucchini. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving a shell intact all around the zucchini. Discard or save the flesh for another use. Chop up the long slices of zucchini.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the sausage, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the sausage has begun to brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the chopped zucchini, onion, and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sausage mixture into a bowl, and stir in the tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and basil until the stuffing is thoroughly combined.
- Lightly stuff the zucchini boats with the stuffing, place the zucchini into a baking dish, and bake until thoroughly heated through and beginning to brown on top, about 30 minutes.