And as usual, I'm glad I did. When the chickpeas are fried their nutty flavor seems to intensify times 100. They really give more than just an amazing flavor to this dish though. They give it major texture! The crispy, crunchiness of the chickpeas are just fun and very delicious.
The whole salad comes together very nicely with a variety of textures and flavors. Definitely a delicious light meal and if you're sick of the same on garden salad this will definitely liven things back up!
Crispy Chickpea Salad with Grilled Prawns
YIELD: 6 servings
TOTAL: 1 HOURS, 30 MINUTES
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
6 cups canola oil
3 cups rinsed and drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
4 cups fresh baby arugula
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup fresh mint, torn
1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/3 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally cut green onions
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind, 1 tablespoon juice, parsley, 1 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a Dutch oven. Add canola oil to pan; heat oil to 385°.
- Dry chickpeas thoroughly in a single layer on paper towels. Place 1 1/2 cups chickpeas in hot oil; fry 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove peas from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Keep warm. Return oil to 385°. Repeat procedure with remaining chickpeas.
- Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 6 (5-inch) skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place shrimp on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill shrimp 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Combine remaining olive oil, rind, juice, red pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add chickpeas, arugula, spinach, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Place 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture in each of 6 shallow bowls. Top each serving with 3 grilled shrimp.