On a recent kayaking trip with friends we were responsible for providing the lunch picnic. Seeing that two of our friends were vegetarians we decided to bring a vegetarian lunch. We needed something that would be ok in the kayak for a few hours while we paddled but still had great flavor and was picnic-able. It also needed to replenish and fill us up after paddling all morning.
I found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times website, which has a ton of great veg-head recipes. These taco's were a HUGE hit with our friends and were just delicious. The smoked paprika is the key ingredient here and can be a little strong so in my recipe I lowered the amount and added some other modifications.
We always try to use dried beans as opposed to canned because the texture is better and they taste better. There's a little more work for them but it's totally worth it in our opinion.
The corn salad you also see in the picture for this meal will be posted soon so keep your eyes open!
* 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
* 8 6-inch tortillas
* 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
* 1 ½ cups cooked black beans, or 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 ½ tsp. smoked paprika
* ½ tsp. dried oregano
* 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
* 11/2 lb. Swiss chard, ribs removed, chopped
* 1 avocado, diced
* 1 cup prepared salsa, optional
* 4 Tbs. crumbled queso fresco, optional
* 4 Tbs. chopped cilantro, optional
* 4 Tbs. low-fat sour cream, optional
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add beans, paprika, and oregano. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 10 minutes.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Stir in chard, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until chard is wilted.
3. Spoon ¼ cup bean mixture in center of each tortilla. Top with 1 cup greens and ¼ cup salsa, if using. Sprinkle with queso fresco, cilantro, and dollop of sour cream, if using.
Black Bean and Artichoke Burritos
Spinach & Black Bean Quesadillas