Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Cherry Tomato Corn Salad
As mentioned in our post Smoky Bean Tacos with Greens we had an amazing time kayaking with friends some weekends back. The Other Williams and I were responsible for the picnic lunch and we decided to make a corn salad to accompany the tacos.
This was so simple to make but had some big flavor! It's a great picnic food also because there nothing that can go bad in the salad. We used fresh corn and roasted it in a skillet until it started to brown. This really let out the sweetness of the corn.
The texture was just great with the crunchy fresh corn and cucumber and the firm cherry tomatoes. The basil, cilantro, and lime really kicked this up the flavor-meter.
After being so close to nature, paddling, and chatting with friends I couldn't think of a more nutritious, filling, delicious, wholesome meal for some of my favorite people. It was truly a wonderful weekend that made us feel so blessed in so many different ways!
* ¼ cup minced fresh basil
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 teaspoons lime juice
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ¼ teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups fresh corn
* 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
* 1 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
1) Cut the corn off the cob and put into a non-stick or cast iron skillet on med heat. Cook with a touch of oil if needed until corn is starting to brown.
2) In a bowl wisk the basil, oil, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper together.
3) In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes and cucumber. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Chicken with Southwestern Salsa
Quinoa and Black Beans