And boy we're they good! All three of us had a hard time keeping our hands off the mixture that the mushrooms are stuffed with. With cream cheese and stove top stuffing (the secret ingredient) it was just too yummy not to eat even before we put it in the oven.
We used extra huge mushrooms and piled the mixture on heavy! This would be killer as a side, like we used it, or would be a hit at a party or entertaining guests!
* 12 large fresh mushrooms, stems removed
* 1 (6 ounce) package chicken flavored dry stuffing mix
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
* 2 cups butter
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
* salt and pepper to taste
* garlic powder to taste
* crushed red pepper to taste
- Arrange mushroom caps on a medium baking sheet, bottoms up. Chop and reserve mushroom stems.
- Prepare chicken flavored dry stuffing mix according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Mix in garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together reserved mushroom stems, prepared dry stuffing mix, cream cheese and imitation crabmeat. Liberally stuff mushrooms with the mixture. Drizzle with the some of the butter and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until stuffing is lightly browned.