Using zucchini as a vessel for other things has been a favorite in our kitchen for a couple of years now. We love stuffing these "boats" with canned tomatoes, corn, and just about anything but this recipe takes the cake. The chickpeas and mushrooms really add so much body and flavor to these "boats". It's healthy, fun, tasty, and the presentation is beautiful.
The recipe didn't call for the cherry tomatoes but we thought they brightened up the dish and gave it some color.
Great as a side dish, for lunch, or a vegetarian dinner!
* 4 zucchini, halved
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1/2 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
* 1 (15.5 ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
* 1/2 lemon, juiced
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* sea salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a shallow baking dish.
2. Scoop out the flesh of the zucchini; chop the flesh and set aside. Place the shells in the prepared dish.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes, then add garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in chopped zucchini and mushrooms; saute 5 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, chick peas, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into zucchini shells.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until zucchini are tender.