My favorite season is making it's debut here in the south and the Williams Kitchen is hopping with fall recipes! My favorite Fall breakfast is warm oatmeal. For a long time I just bought the Quaker Instant stuff but this is so much better.
The flavor and texture is just awesome and there is nothing more nourishing than a warm bowl of oatmeal. There are so many good-for-you things in this bowl. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
- This recipe is so versatile add whatever you have on hand or love.
- If you need a quick breakfast make a big batch and throw it in the fridge. Then just take out a serving at a time, add some milk to loosen it up and microwave it.
- If the oatmeal is too thick add more milk
- If sweet isn't your thing, omit the maple syrup or cut the brown sugar in half
Here's my version
Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal
3 3/4 cups water
2 cups rolled oats
1 pinch salt
4 teaspoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup (the good stuff)
4 tablespoons milk
- Bring water to a boil and add oats. Turn heat down to med and stir until thickens (it will thicken more as it cools) about 5-7 mins.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup and stir. At this point you can let it finish cooling and toss it in the fridge.
- To serve place one serving into a bowl and stir in milk. (if from the fridge microwave a minute or so).
- Top with raisins and walnuts.