Friday, April 24, 2009
Chicken Broccoli Stir-fry
Terri just whipped out a favorite at our house. This Chicken Broccoli Stir-fry is delicious and fast. We have this pretty regularly during the warmer weather. The flavors are good and it's not too out there or too asian to turn you off. Kids would enjoy this also.
While discussing the recipe Terr informed me that she has been cooking this recipe for over 15 years! The recipe actually came from a cook book that came with her first electric wok. The thing is so old, it's yellowed and stained. I literally had to type the recipe word for word.
I love our Asian inspired dishes here. We got a two person set when we were visiting China of the World Showcase in Disney's Epcot. We fell in love with this set and have been using it a lot with our Asian dishes. Here you see a side of pot stickers with dipping sauce and some edamame in the bowl.
So here's an old school recipe for you. We love it and it's definitely good eats!
Vegetarian Option: leave out the chicken and replace it with tofu or extra veggies.
Yield: 6-8 servings
* 2 Whole chicken breast, boned, skinned, and diced
* 3 tbsp soy sauce
* 1 tbsp veg oil
* 4 cups broccoli or 1 20oz package of frozen broccoli
* 1 cup chicken broth
* dash of garlic powder
* 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tbsp cornstarch
1) In small bowl, combine chicken, soy sauce, and veg oil.
2) Place broccoli and ½ cup of chicken broth in wok. Set heat control to med. Cook 5 mins; stir-fry once every minute. Push up the side.
3) Increase heat to hi. Add chicken mixture and garlic powder. Stir-fry with 2 wooden spoons for 3 mins. Push up the side.
4) Add mushrooms and stir-fry 1 minute. combine all ingredients in wok.
5) Combine lemon juice and cornstarch with remaining ½ cup chicken broth. Stir into wok mixture and heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low for serving.
Service over brown rice or noodles.